From:
Kristen Thelander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 16:45:25 -0500
Hello again, all.  We hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I just had a few things to relate; first of all, my fiance, Chris and I were
just discussing last night differences in animal hair.  I have been allergic
to cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc.  since the age of
twelve--if I touched the animal and proceeded to touch my face in any way,
my bronchial tubes would tighten, my eyes would water, hives would appear,
and I would have constant sneezing.  I have to be very careful to wash my
hands thoroughly after handling any animal with fur.

Ferrets, however, I have absolutely no problem with, (which I am very
grateful for) and I was just wondering if anyone had any theories (or facts)
as to why.  Do ferrets have less dander or less fur?  I would really
appreciate any feedback.  I am so happy, though, that I am able to have
Casey and Emily without worry for my own health.  I can kiss them and hold
them without any problem.  Even when Emily takes chomps out of my arm (and
most recently my top lip) I do not experience any allergic reaction.

I am also proud to report that I have applied for a job at a local pet store
and I have been asked to come in for an interview tomorrow!  They sell
ferrets there from time to time, and my personal goal is to change the way
they are displayed (2 male ferrets in a glass aquarium tank filled with pine
shavings) Hopefully, I'll get the job.  (My real motive being I'll get
discounts on my abundance of ferret toys, food, and supplies for the girls)

One last sad note, one of my Egyptian sand rats (they are very similar to
gerbils) fell asleep under their wheel and he got caught when his brother
decided to go for a run.  Poor Stubby got cut up pretty severely and he's
just barely alive.  I put bacitracin on his wounds and took him out of his
cage (his manslaughtering brother, Mitchell was beginning to pick at him)
and placed him in a box with shavings and a towel.  I just hope he's warm
and comfortable; if it's one thing that absolutely stings my heart it is an
animal in pain.  Please just say a quick prayer for him.  Thank you.

--Kristen, Chris, (the human authority figures) Casey and Emily (the
girls) Frankie (the iguana) and Mitchell and Stubby (the rats)