Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 10:07:00 CST
Fara died in my arms after an hour struggle Friday at 11:30 p.m.  It was
very rough, she convulsed, shook her head violently, cried, heaved,.....  I
held her the entire time trying to think of something to make her passing
easier.  Since she was salivating I thought "low blood sugar" so honey was
worth a try.  If I could just get enough sugar to her brain maybe she'd pass
gently.  Well a couple minutes after the honey she seemed to settle and then
she breathed her last breath.  We'd had a housefull of company earlier.  5
minutes after Nancy left Fara made little noises.  She didn't want to eat
earlier so we knew something was wrong and she passed a clear white thick
liquid with strings of milky white mucous when she tried to potty.  She
waited for everyone to leave so she could die with dignity, and in my arms.
I called Nancy and told her and as she heard Fara's cries she didn't know if
she could handle it if she came back.  I told her it was her decision, and
she decided to come back.  Well just as she was walking up the walkway, Fara
died.  When Nancy came in I handed her to her and she hugged and kissed her
and said her goodbyes and then held her for quite some time.  Just as I do
after they pass.  You just don't want to let go.  I had to pick up her
little bed because the others would go in looking for her and wander off
very confused.  We only had 6 weeks.  Just last week she tried to play in a
paper sack after watching two of the others.  She'd get in and then scratch
scratch scratch on the sack and then look around like "well, now what do I
do".  Teddy isn't far behind.

This is the most difficult part of running a "home" for ferrets but they
are truly worth every moment.  I wouldn't have given up those 6 weeks with
Fara for anything, Nancy wouldn't have either.  This was her first
terminally ill ferret case.  It is better that Fara passed before Nancy got
back to our home.  Perhaps she knew that.

We're sending warm and healing wishes to all sick ferrets and all those
who will be going through surgery.

Hugs.  tle