From:
Tina Tortorelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:32:10 EST
Warning!  I have a Wilson 2-tier ferret/chinchilla wire cage for my 1.5 year
old female Neely, and she escaped last night, right in front of me.  You can
imagine my disbelief when I watched her crawl out of a corner opening of the
wire, which is 1" X 2".  Yes, no joke, it was that tiny and yet her little
head popped right through it, along with the rest of her body.  If you have
this type of cage (the company usually has a red metal plate with its name
on it near the top--Wilson Manufacturing Co., from Middleboro, MA), beware
of your ferret, if you happen to have a small female like mine.  Neely is a
pound and three quarters, small for a female but not unheard of.  She is
going to be the death of me yet!

As a temporary solution, I duct taped the holes up pretty well, just the
front 2 corner holes on the top that are a teensie-weensie bit larger than
the rest (which are the ones she can crawl out of).  But following advice
from a friend who works with Black-footed ferrets (I might as well treat
mine as a BFF, she's quite a magician), I will be going to the hardware
store to purchase some smaller-opening wire caging to clip onto the present
cage (which cost me a small fortune already!).  If anyone out there has a
possessed ferret like mine, I need support!  I am constantly watching her do
the impossible, and the last thing I want to do is give her up.

So remember, watch out for the corner openings on Wilson Cages, they can be
squirmed out of by our smaller furry little friends.

          -Tina and Neely ("I like to keep mommy on her toes!")