From:
Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 13:09:13 EST
First, my heart goes out to anyone who has lost a ferret recently.
Nov. 1 is All Saints Day, and I know those departed fuzzies are all
saints, and lots of them are probably guardian angels too. I think
we are privileged to have the little fuzzbeans in our lives, adding
joy and laughter and love. I think when we allow animals into our
lives, death is always inevitable, though no one can take away the
love that has been shared.

"Though lovers be lost,
Love shall not,
And death shall have no dominion."
    --Dylan Thomas
(thanks Cheryl :-)

Re: pregnancy and litter boxes
If you haven't already, I would check with your vet for reliable
information on toxoplasmosis.  Unfortunately, doctors can be sadly
misinformed about toxoplasmosis; not to say that yours is, but some are.

Re: difference between declawing etc. and neutering
Not a stupid question at all, one that is frequently asked.  In my opinion,
they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  I see neutering and spaying as
lifesaving operations.  In the case of ferrets, you are literally saving
the female's life as she will die unless spayed, bred, or brought out of
heat.  In the case of cats and dogs, all you need to do is walk into any
large animal shelter and ask which cats and dogs will be put to sleep next,
and why.  The answer?  Because there just are not enough homes for them.
(No-kill shelters are great, I volunteer for one of them.  But unless there
is a spaying program going on, the unwanted cats and dogs still exist.)

In my mind there is a direct correlation: someone's cat has 4 kittens, 4
kittens are put to death at an animal shelter because there are too many
unwanted cats and dogs.  Also, unneutered males are much more likely to
suffer fight wounds, and both m/f wander off.  Going into heat is also very
stressful for females, as is continual kitten/puppy bearing.

Declawing is generally done for the convenience of the owner.  In the case
of cats, although they may adjust ok, it leaves them totally defenseless
should they ever get outside (ie, they can't climb trees, fight back if
attacked.) Also, the act of scratching (trees, scratching posts, etc.)
exercises a lot of the cat's muscles, and their balance is permanently
affected by declawing.  Declawed cats often bite more.  In my opinion,
kids should be taught respect for animals and how to treat them.  Too
often, parents don't take the time to supervise children with pets, and
it's always the animal who is blamed.  I know plenty of parents who *do*
take the time to teach their kids respect for animals, and I think both
the children and the animals are much better off.

To me, debarking is the worst.  Dogs rely heavily on barking to communicate.
Dogs can bark incessantly for many reasons: boredom, stress, neglect, or
downright abuse.  Debarking leaves a dog totally unable to warn his owners,
express himself to other animals/people, or to cry out in pain.  I
personally think it's criminal to cut an animal's vocal cords.

--Ronnie, food and shelter provider for Cinderella, Ralph & Harry
the fuzzbeans as well as Max the dog and the cat brigade, all of
whom provide lots of love