Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 1995 16:48:45 -0700
>From:    Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
>To remove a ferret's claws, you must essentially remove their finger
>tips and finger nail. Imagine how painful that would be.

(deleted the rest of your message)

hi gina and all ferrets and their owners.

thank you for pointing this out. i didn't know that declawing was such
a major operation for a ferret. i, like you, hate the thought of
declawing any animal. i guess my thought is that one should resort to
declawing as the absolute last resort.

and i agree with you 100%, gina, concerning obtaining a ferret, or any
other animal, on a whim.  it upsets me *no end* to hear someone say, "oh,
we had to get rid of fido (or tabby, or bunny, or birdie...) because he
barked (meowed, squeaked, chirped...) too much." or how about this one: "
when we bought spot, my little son *promised* that he would feed and walk
and clean up after spot, but *i* ended up doing it, and i got tired of it,
so we got rid of him."

the one that pissed me off the most concerned the clueless guy who works at
the pet store where we buy food, toys, litter boxes, etc.  about a year ago
when i was there, and he saw me buying ferret stuff, he proudly told me
that he had just bought a baby ferret, and "ferret" was so cute, etc.  etc.

and when i was back in there earlier this week, and the same guy saw me
buying more ferret supplies, he asked me if i would be interested in
buying his ferret. because "ferret" turned out to be kind of a pain to
take care of, and "ferret" required just too much attention, and etc.
etc. etc.

and, i swear, if he hadn't been so much bigger and stonger and younger
than i, i would have wrung his neck.

anyway, please forgive my ranting and raving. i know all you guys feel
the same way.

and gina, thanks again for the info. (i know your response wasn't a
flame. it was too nice to be a flame.)

linda

and sassy fat cats (joshua, misty, raven, flossie)

and whiskered weasel delinquents (alvin, sally, dweezil, and new baby
sparky)