From:
"Howell, Cynthia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 09:57:00 EDT
Hello all!
Being a grad student in psych and proud mother of three breathtakingly
beautiful weasel-babies, I thought I'd share my humble advice on ferret
training.  I found a technique which works for carpet digging, biting,
playing too rough, and plant descecration.  Sounds too good to be true, but
honestly, its based in empirical literature and anecdotal evidence supports
the hypothesis!! (Someone's been in grad school way too long!!!)

Simple classical conditioning.  Remember Pavlov and his drooling dogs?
Here's my remedy for digging weasels.  When Thistle, our first, began
shredding our carpet, we used a squirt gun to give her a quick blast in the
back while shouting "NO!!" She acted as though the hand of God had come down
and dealt her a mighty blow.  I've never heard such suprised, unpleased
chortling.  After her initial spasm, she tried again, and again the death
ray struck.  In the words of a good behaviorist, the behavior was soon
extinguished.

Now the really important part of this whole process is the "NO!!" (or the
bad-weasel-don't-do-that code word of your choice).  Because after a while,
you can dispense with the water.  Shouting the word should have the same
effects.  (ferret train of thought: I'm digging=she yells= I get wet!!
They'll interrupt the cycle as early as they can == NO DIGGING!) They may
need a refresher course, every once in a while, but after that first angry,
wet period, they get the picture really quickly.  Be consistent.  It takes
some time initially, but it's well worth it to be able to have plants and
weasels in the same household.  And it eliminates the hassle and potential
dangers of putting some sort of blockade over your oh-so-tempting dirt.

I've got to run to class, but I'll be back when I have more time.  I still
haven't told you all about Pico's Big Adventure!!

Thanks for reading and all your advice!  Hope this info helps!

The House of Wayward Weasels
Thistle, Pico, and Oskar
(who let Myron and Cindee stay there, too)