From:
Juan Manuel Alcantara Acosta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 1995 09:51:41 UT
Hello "Anon" and FML'ers

<<first, since you mention ferret vets in Mexico I assume that means
there are ferrets in Mexico as well.>>

Yes, there are ferrets in Mexico they are not very popular because very few
people know about them even people that work at Pet Stores that carry them
know very little about them but they are rapidly becoming popular.  In fact
I know of a place in the suburbs of Mexico City where there's a colony of
wild ferrets!

I'm starting a project to create an Association and a shelter to protect
Ferrets (pets as well as those found in the wild) and educate the public and
Pet Store owners about the needs and proper care of Ferrets. (I think this
will be the first Ferrets Association in Mexico)

<<How popular are they and are they kept as pets or for hunting?>>

I don't know any one that keeps them for hunting but I've heard of a group o
people that meets once a month to go hunting with their Ferrets (in Toluca,
Estado de Mexico).

<<Are they legal in all states and is it easy to transport them from the US
to Mexico, say, for a vacation?>>

Yes, they are legal.  I'm currently investigating if there is any
legislation and so far I've just heard it is not legal to breed them, but
this I learned from a Pet store owner and still haven't been able to
confirm it.  To transport them from the US to Mexico you just need the
rabies vaccine certificate.

<<Are the ferrets there generally bred there or are they Marshall farms
ferrets?  Where can they be purchased?>>

I know at list of two breeders (for one of them it's just a hobby) but most
of the ferrets I have seen are from MF, I have one from MF and one from
Canada (I think).  Many Pet Stores carry them and I know of one that only
sales Mexican Ferrets, the price for a Ferret is $160 to $240 ($1=N$6.3)

<<What are they called in (Mexican) Spanish?  My husband is Mexican and I
have a hard time explaining to his family what my funny pet is.  I have
just referred to him as a "comadreja" (weasel).  The dictionary I have
refers to ferrets as "huron" and to hunting with ferrets as "huronear".>>

Huron (sing.) (with accent on the o) is the correct name in Spanish,
though I've heard they are also called "onzas" (pl.)

<<Me daria mucho gusto comunicarme con Ud.  sobre el tema de las "viboras
peludas" y espero su respuesta!!!  Gracias!!>>

You (and very body else) are welcome to call me or send E-mail any time.

Juan Manuel Alcantara Acosta
------

Arizona, Consultores en Sistemas
Pilares 1028, Col. del Valle
Mexico, D.F.
C.P. 03650
Phone: fax +52 (5) 605-2231 voice +52 (5) 605-3041
E-Mail:
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]