From:
"Headley, Dawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 18:23:00 PDT
I have three ferrets and am very glad to have this list because some of my
friends (and father included)  think I am crazy for having so MANY (3?)
ferrets.  They always ask, "Wouldn't one be enough?"  Coco is a 5 1/2 year
old black-eyed white female, Chanel is a 5 1/2 yr. old sable female, and
Hermes is a 2 1/2 yr. old cinnamon male.  I would probably have 2 more
ferrets, but my SO threw a hissy fit.  A sister of a friend offered to give
me her silver and sable female ferrets, which were both spayed and
descented.  I thought that sounded like too good of a deal to pass up
(especially since I didn't have a silver ferret).  Unfortunately, my SO
thought otherwise and felt he had the right to help me make any long-term
decisions such as getting another pet.  Anyways, it is nice to read the
stories of others who also have such a passion for the little furrballs
since I do not know anyone in my area (Pierre, SD) who even has a ferret.

to Jennifer:
Coco had very thin hair on her tail for a while and now it is growing back
orange too.  Unlike your ferret, it doesn't seem to be fading.  It looks
really goofy, but I think she still looks beautiful.  In fact, she looks
just like the ferret with the Christmas hat on the cover of the Ferret
Outfitters catalog - except for the orange tail.

When the ferrets and I visit my parents, they have a special drawer in the
dresser where they sleep (if there is not flannel sheets on my bed).  When
Coco and Chanel were kits, they would crawl under the oven and into the
drawer underneath (not accessible to the stove) when they were ready to take
a nap and didn't feel like going back to the bedroom.  My mom and I thought
it was so cute when we found them curled up together in the cast iron
skillet.  Not very comfy in my opinion!

Others have mentioned their ferrets' reactions to the vacuum cleaner.
Hermes is a nuisance when I am trying to vacuum the room where we all
sleep.  He chases the hose and trys to bite it.  He also seems to like
sticking his head in the end of the hose.  The hose will suck his face in,
and then he will pull it out only to stick it back in again.  Silly!!

Condolances to all those who have lost their ferret buddies.

Dawn (who just turned 30, but still tells everyone she's 29)