From:
"John G. Byron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 19:37:23 -0400
I have a question for anyone out there who might know if this is possible.

Is it possible for an object to lodge in a ferret's stomach?

A bit of background,  about three years ago, my eldest ferret - Tigger took
ill with what appeared to be a viral infection of some sort - a week later,
my vet confounded that he had not responded - opted to perform surgery - he
found the remains of an earplug was partially blocking his intestine.

From that day until now, I never brought those type of earplugs into my home
again.  Since then I have changed jobs - and no longer have to wear earplugs.

Last Friday - much to my horror - he again took very ill - the X-Rays taken
at the emergency animal hospital showed an outline of what looked like an
earplug.  The object that was removed in the surgery - has the shape, and
characteristics of the other earplug accept that it was almost completely
black.

As of now, I am waiting to see if he will recover - I pray he will.

Is it possible that this earplug could have been lodged in his stomach for
the last three years?

As a work of caution - the earplug in question is manufactured by Howard
Leight - Type NRR 26 they are orange and NIPPLE shaped with a flaring bottom
and a black foam removable core.  These are very good earplugs for human
use, by the way.

If anyone can answer my question I would appreciate it.

John