From:
Jennifer Lutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 23:15:01 -0400
        Oh, so many questions. I've been thinking about getting a ferret
for a while, and I've scoped out just about all of Pam Greene's Ferret
Central (what a neat-o site!) and been reading this list for about two
weeks (granted, that's not long) and I have a few concerns:

1) My apartment is very much a poor-student-bachelorette pad, and I don't
think it could ever be ferret-proofed (without say, throwing out 90% of my
belongings) and I really wouldn't want to let a fuzzy roam around
unattended. So the thing is, he/she would have to be in a cage (of course,
I'd get a big one with lots of toys) whenever I'm not home or can't
supervise. Is this mean? What I mean is, I'd love the fuzzy and play with
him/her whenever I could, but is that enough? If my apartment is
un-ferret-proofable, would it be nicer to the ferret to not adopt it in
the first place?

2) So many posts to the FML are about sick ferrets. Are they chronically ill
pets? Do they require a great deal more care than other domestic
animals? (I just want to be properly prepared for the responsiblility if
they are and do, you know?)

3) I live in Philadelphia but don't have a car, so "shopping around" would
be really inconvenient for my neighbor, who has agreed to take me pet
shopping.  :)  I called a few nearby pet stores, and two of them said they
had one ferret. This makes me wonder- if they only have one, they probably
don't know much about them, right? So is it a good/bad idea to buy one of
these fuzzies? But on the other hand, are they less likely to have the
dreaded ECE because they're the only ones at the respective the stores?
The only other pet I've ever had was a gerbil when I was 8, and (I don't
want to sound callous or anything- I'm not!) I don't want to start out on
the wrong foot with a new baby. So what I'm getting at is, does anyone have
any suggestions as to a reputable (and well-informed) place to adopt/buy a
ferret in the Philadelphia area? I don't want to drag my neighbor all over
the state.  :)   (BTW, even without a car, vet care should be no problem,
because U of Penn's vet school is less than a mile away- I could take a
taxi or, for non-emergencies, walk.)

    Those are my most immediate concerns- sorry to consume so much space!
Any input would be appreciated. My address is [log in to unmask] if
you'd rather send e-mail to conserve bandwidth.
        Thanks for the informative and entertaining list. I've really
enjoyed reading about others' experiences with their babies, and look forward
to having my own fuzzy stories to tell!

Jen