From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 20:09:44 -0400
There has been some question here in MA about Veterinarians passing along
information to ferret owners that ferrets are legal here in MA.  Well I wish
it were true but it is not.  Evidently, a ferret owner had taken their sick
ferret to the MSPCA, Angell Memorial Hospital here in Boston and the
Emergency Room Veterinarian told this person that ferrets were now legal
here.

I spoke to Pat Riley who is in the Legislative Dept. at MSPCA.  We've been in
contact since the beginning of this ordeal with House Bill 295 and told her
of the overzealous Vet in their ER.  She apologized and said that they just
started a new group of interns and evidently one of them may have heard her
wrong when she had been going over some pending legislation here in the
state.  Anyway, to make a long story short, she will pass the word along to
the ER Vets and all of the Vets on staff.

I also spoke to her on the MSPCA's policy on treating ferrets.  She said that
they would treat ferrets only in an EMERGENCY not for routine exams, this
means they are not authorized to give out shots.  Ferrets treated at the
MSPCA for emergencies will be given back to the owner.  They do not turn
people in to the Fish & Game or hand ferrets over to them. (The ones they
treat in the hospital).  I think this is great news.

The policy here in this state for Vets is that they can treat ferrets only in
an emergency.  Not for routine exams.  If they are caught doing this, they
risk losing their licenses.  I confirmed this with the Mass Veterninarians
Association.  Who, by the way, also is in favor of the passage of House Bill
295.

Anyone wishing to help out with the passage of House Bill 295, either E-mail
me directly or call the Ferret Hotline in MA at (617) 224-1098.  The hotline
was established to give updates on the Bills progression by having people
call in and hear the recorded message.  You can also leave a message on the
tape and someone will get back to you.