From:
"Kurt D. Springs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:04:25 -0400
Hi folks,

First off, thanks for the advice regarding Paddington's breath.  I'm glad
peoples ferrets have come home.  I'm also sorry for anyone who's little
friend has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

I took Paddington to the vet today.  He'd thrown up this week while I was
away.  He looked like he was doing better, but his bowl movements weren't
what they should be, and his legs were still not working at 100%.

When Doctor Dutton examined him, I pointed out hat his stomach was hardd as
well.  Like he had developed his stomach muscles.  At first the doctor
thought it might be an enlarged spleen, but an X ray showed the spleen was a
normal size, but  it showed  a large mass.  I gave the go ahead for
exploratory surgary.  It's a massive tumor and its wrapped around his aorta.
I will be seeing the Doctor tomorrow to get the specifics.  If he isn't
suffering too much, I'd like for him to live out the rest of his life.  If
he is, I'll have him put down.

It isn't fair!  He's just starting to act like a ferret again.

Worse is this week, I have to go back to my field school, and my parents
have to go to Rhode Island to see my Grand Parents (Who are getting close to
the Rainbow Bridge them selves.)

I don't want to put him down just because his illness isn't convieniant.  He
deserves better.  Yet how can I be sure that it won't influence my decision.
 Or I could try to over compensate when letting go would be better for him.

I'm going to try to let him tell me what he wants.  Try to interpert his
behavior the best I can.

I'll keep everyone posted.  I wish I had time to ask for advice, but by the
time I read it, I will have already made the decision.

Meg, I understand the guilt you must feel in your little friends death.  I
keep asking myself if I missed something, or if I should have done something
different.  We can all wish we were better people.  But as the proverb goes,
hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks to everyone:  for listening, your prayers, and your support.

Kurt.