From:
Steve & Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 19:44:51 EDT
Rick, We have several questions and comments about biting, because even
though it is probably behavioral and correctable with training that head
movement part bothers us.  Questions: Are the bites incisor bites (the
short front teeth), or the more serious canine bites?  The first looks
more like a short scratch while canine bites are (sometimes one) usually
two deeper roundish puncture wounds which tend to bruise, sometimes
badly.  If canine bites, then is there just one without holding, one with
holding, or many which are devilered rapid fire?  Is the head wagging
side to side, or up and down as in nodding?

Any behavioral change can indicate a health problem, especially sudden
aggression or use of juvenile mannerisms by an adult.  This is a very
useful early warning system.  Some possibilities can involve bad teeth,
sore ears or head, distemper, hormonal or adrenal problems (though usually
you'd see this as passes made at other ferrets, our Hjamlar made his first
at my sister; ferrets are 'sadistic' romantics.  Hjamlie also always told
us when he had a urinary infection by 'going' on the kitchen floor.).

Incisor bites can be play which has gotten out of hand or tentative
territoriality, or a statement of mishandling by the humans.  They are
easy to train away.  (We do NOT believe in rough training and use 'time-
out'; our Ruffle imposes time-out on herself now when she is getting too
excited, and she used to be in the worst bite category, with us always
laced with canine bites and bruises.)

Re-training any animal which canine bites can be harder, but it can
usually be done if consistent.  Biting without holding would make us
think first of territoriality, an animal which needs exposure to others
used to critters and retraining -- vets, vet techs, folks at shelters,
experienced owners.  It could be 'jealous'; for whatever reason I've run
into this in several German Shepards, too, mentioned because I'm sure you
have heard of 'one-man-dogs'.  When the critter learns that it and its
owner are not in danger and that it will still be loved things clear up.

Biting with holding makes us first think of hunting and of self-defense.
Do the folks act like prey?  It's not as dangerous as with an animal which
can kill you, but if they act that way just keep little ones away from
them, at least till he's retrained.  (This is the kind of behavior which
leads to mountain lion and some dog attacks; strange as it sounds with
most big cats you make yourself look big and growl and snarl back or
otherwise threaten.) Are they doing things which make your ferret feel in
danger without cause?  A strong, slow, smooth, aware mid-ground is needed,
and your ferret needs to know that they must be respected but not feared.
(BTW, sometimes the critter shakes its head DURING this type of bite, as
with hunters.)

Does the animal canine bite many times, very rapidly (which tends to
bruise terribly).  This can indicate extreme frustration, people who are
not responding to the ferret's body language, sometimes an animal who is
retarded.  We don't mean a bite every few minutes here; we mean up to 10
deep canine bites in seconds.  Even that can be trained away.  Our Ruffle
is retarded and you would not want to have seen our legs during the first
three years of her life.  It takes patience, love, and consistency.
Still, it can be done.  She didn't even look wrong at folks at the vets
recently, even though her vet was on vacation.

Where are you?  Someone here may know just the contacts for you to
retrain him.

Your first order of the day is to make sure your little one gets a clean
bill of health from an accomplished ferret vet.  If you are not sure of
your's ask Pam Grant for her list.  Those head movements really make us
wonder about head pain.  Then expose the ferret to acceptable people.
BTW, our's go on hug and kiss visits to the vets' office when we take
them the Ferret Mailing List.  It's another exposure to others, and they
don't associate the people with only discomfort.

Hal, we agree; thanks for posting, and thanks for carrying it, Bill!

Fisting sounds very useful.  Thank you, David.  We can always use such
tips.

Stephanie, what does your vet use as meds for double adrenalectomy?  When
Hjalmar had his right out the left refused to fire up for a bit and he
was quite literally dying when Florinef was tried; it held him well till
the other started up.

BIG, a friend's father had to be treated for rabies from cattle in the
50s (cut himself on her tooth when trying to determine why she was
immobile and pouring saliva).

[Moderator's note: I guess rabid ferrets were downing cattle even in the
50's.  Live and learn.  BIG]

MILITARY BASES: If health related issues (as in stated fear of rabies or
bites) are involved would it be possible that CDC regs would take over?  (I
ask because of the CDC overriding the military -- which was being more
logical in that case, IMHO -- during the first Ebola reston strain outbreak
even though CDC did not discover it or have the better facilities at that
time.) If CDC could over-ride them, then the approach for the greatest
safety of all, could come from a ferret club associated with someone at the
CDC.

Kitchens: Builders are sometimes lax about gas and electrical connections
which are hidden behind appliances.  Check for holes which ferrets can
use to climb between walls.

        The best from all 8 of us,  Sukie