From:
Nathan Viles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 03:33:01 -0500
Okay, I have just caught up on a week's worth of FML...
It is late, and I have just read 7 days or so of HSUS things.

It frustrates me to talk to people who have inaccurate information about
ferrets as pets...  It infuriates me to find people who cling to their
dogma so tightly about ferrets, that everything I say is ignored.  Everyone
cAn give stories too numerous to type about this phobia or that rumor.
Ferrets are wonderful, Dogs are great, And Cats can be pretty cool.  People
get along with pets that best mesh with their personalities.  While I
concede ferrets are not for everyone, I would appreaciate some toleration
of my pet.  I think that is what we want.  We want respect for our friends
and children, and the same rights afforded other pets.  We would like to
have well educated vets for ferrets be the norm, rather than a precious
jewel.  We would like to be able to go to sleep at night, not having to
worry about our children becoming illegal in our home.
    I have held off writing the HSUS because I don't know what to say.
They have valid points in some areas, and inaccuracies in others.  I believe
the only solution is that of an amiable discussion between our two groups.
I would like to know what other animals the HSUS considers less than ideal,
and why cats and dogs are so sacred.
    I hope some of this is making sense.

On other topics I have caught up on:

I grieve strongly for all who have lost companions.
Many times in the last hours, I have broken down.

Dr Williams:

You have helped everyone on this list many times, myself included.
Thank You.
No one would begrudge you a happy life, hopefully spent with mAny ferrets,
as well as human loved ones.  I hope the data you have collected and the
papers you write will bring you world wide fame and glory...  your name will
become a house-hold name and a golden age of ferrets dawn...  Or some thing
like that.  Good Luck and Thanks Again (not that you are leaving or anything)

Thanks to everyone that contributes to the FML.  I myself usually ask
questions, so I really appreciate answers from everyone.  (I would list
names, but I am afraid I would leave someone off) [Everyone knows who you
are]

And thanks BIG for the time and resources you have given for this list.
----

On a lighter note:Toys (briefly)

I have read mention of sponge balls and found packaged ferret toys in the
store that are just sponge balls.  It seems to me the type of thing Stuff
will eat and then wonder why she is eating laxatone 5 times a day.  My older
boys used to find soda can insulators and shread them.  I have stayed away
from such things now.  Question is: Are these spange balls different or
otherwise safe?

A while back, soemone mentioned riding in a dryer tube...Just bought dryer
tube, and Stuff loves riding in it.  The minute she is throw out of the
wiping hose, she dashes back in it.  I think she likes the experience, but I
have not ruled out the three stogages attitude of, "Well, I'll show the hose
who's boss"

The End, really

Nathan, Heather (hates seeing Stuff when she gets a shot[basket case])
Stuff, the cotton eating varmit