From:
Hillary Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 23:34:14 -0400
with reference to paul's question about using castrated males to bring
females out of heat...to quote Dr.  Susan Brown, "The females are
seasonally polyestrus from march to august and stimulated by an
increase in photoperiod...The males also are fertile only during this
time with the testicles increasing in size..."
In my interpretation, this means that the boys and girls should start
thinking about "you know what" when the days get longer, and that they are
generally both in season at the same time. I can't tell from this,
though, if a hob would want to breed an in heat female in the "off
season" - is the presence of a jill in heat enough to stimulate him, or
is he only interested when the time is right? Dr. Williams????
                        hillary g.
[Moderator's note: Just in case this thread is leading to lots of folks
being confused, I think some people are confused between castrated males
and vasectomized ones... big difference!  It's the vasectomized hob that