From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 08:22:57 -0500
Meg,
Welcome to the FML!  I hope you have as much fun with it as I have had.
Your posts have had me in stitches - I know how you feel about computers -
I'm hooked into the Internet from my word processor at work - about all
I know how to do is send mail and I recently learned how to forward
messages!!  A major accomplishment!!

Frankly, Meg, I agree with you.  I can't help but believe that taking out
sex glands at such a young age can be anything but detrimental.  I worked
in a human genetics clinic for 6 years, and we were constantly seeing
developmentally delayed children as well as growth retarded children -
some of who had hormonal deficits.  It seems to me - in my opinion - that
since ferrets and humans are both mammals - is it not possible that these
2 mammalian systems could react in the same way to hormone deficits?
Well, maybe not in the SAME way but similar ways?  I'm not saying that
humans develop adrenal tumors, I'm just saying that a lack of these
hormones during development just may account for other systemic problems.

As more and more ferrets are purchased from breeders and most likely
are being neutered at a more normal (IMO) age of around 6 months, it
will interesting in a few years to see if these ferrets will end up
developing adrenal tumors as well.

BTW, Judi Bell gave me a study that was done by Mary VanDame - I think -
Results of the report indicate that early neutering does not cause an
increase in adrenal tumors - I'll have to go dig it out from somewhere
on the dining room table - that may take a couple of days :) and I'll
post the specifics.  But like I said, my gut feeling tells me it *has*
to make a difference.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY