From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 09:24:37 -0500
I looked in Troy Lynn's ferret newsletter for info on anesthesia; according
to the article author, Gerald Bond, DVM, the best type for ferrets in most
cases is called isoflurane.  It's expensive, but is odorless and tasteless
(less frightening), the level can be easily controlled, and it wears off
quickly after it is turned off.  (In case you were wondering, they put the
ferret into a clear plexiglass chamber and introduce the gas into it to put
him or her under - no forcing down a tiny mask onto a struggling patient.
Unlike me when I was 5 and going into a tonsillectomy...  :)

I got that issue of her newsletter the day before Rocko had to go in for
surgery to remove the 6" of thick rubber band from his stomach and upper
intestine.  I was glad to have that info, and pleased when I heard that
they would be using isoflurane.  I don't know if it can be used for all
surgeries, but it was for intestinal blockage in this case.  The vet called
me up right after surgery; Rocko had woken up quickly afterwards, and
looked good.  (Vet Plug: Como Park Animal Hospital, St.  Paul.  MN - that
vet put off his trip out of town to stay and operate on Rocko, rather than
turn the case over to another vet there who hadn't followed the case, and
waste more time.  In general, excellent vets, and _very_ knowledgeable
about ferrets.)

Could someone please post a list of the sponsors of the CBS Morning Show?
I may not be able to watch it due to work.  I faxed CBS and wrote HSUS
with, IMHO, a pretty darned good letter filled with facts about how
infrequently ferrets bite in comparison to dogs, and how children should
always be supervised around pets.  I'd still like to mail the sponsors and
let them know what nonsense they are inadvertently promoting.

Happy ferreting,
Denise, plus Gene (fiance')
and Rocko & Randall (1 yr old MF sable males)
--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"