From:
Jazmyn Concolor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 10:01:07 -0700
  To the one who talked about ferrets surviving in the wild.  Here in
CA we have Mr. Coyote..A successful preditor whom cats are a tasting treat,
even when the cats run away..I don't see any way a ferret could survive in
the wild in CA..

Coyote:  Hmmm...Whats this?

Ferret: Big doggie! Play! Play!

Coyote: Ah..Lunch.  (snap..gulp)  Mmmm...Any more?

Of course we also have mountain lions and bobcats as well.  There are a few
wild weasel species in CA, but they are rare and small enough to escape or
are otters, who are big enough to fight and can swim as well.  We also have
a large feral cat and dog population, but the coyotes often keep those in
check..or mountain lions in the case of the feral large dogs..