From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 01:06:57 -0400
> From:    "HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: ferrets in the wild
>
> My vet. however, knows of a ferret living in the Laurentian Mountains.  It
> is definitely a domestic ferret and has been out there for a couple of years.

How does he 'know' of this 'ferret'?  Has he captured and examined it?

> Another friend of mine who lives on the Sault Ste.  Marie Ojibwe
>Reserve in Ontario (near > Michegan's UP) says that domestic ferrets...
>broke into his > uncle's rabbit run ...  They are sure it was > domestic
>ferrets...[because they were fearless...]

"fearless" can apply to most any mustelid.  But polecats and the like in
the wild would not try to chase away a rival.  They themselves are a prey
to larger carnivores and would not 'chase' a rival for food.  They would
rightly be concerned about there own safety.

> I consider both of these to be reliable sources.  Anyway, the point is not
> to rain on anybody's parade, but to point out that there are indeed ferrets
> who can survive in rather inhospitable climes  for extended periods of time.

I don't want a flame war or anything - but I flat out do not believe these
are true sightings of feral ferrets.  Are these people familar with all of
the local weasels and their ilk?  Martens, weasels, mink all live in those
areas.  There are WAY too many stories about people who are sure they've
seen 'wild ferrets' that turned out to be the similar wild mink.  Without
evidence such as captured animals or very good photographs I would suspect
a cousin of the ferret rather than a ferret to be the animal sighted.
Ferrets don't live all that long in domestic situations.  Weasels and
polecats in the wild only live a couple of years and they are 'good at it'.
Ferrets (like many domesticated 'pets' are bred for immature traits.  Cute
baby faces and sweet dispositions.  They've been bred for so long that
almost all of their wild habits are long gone.  Only fifty years ago they
were still good hunters but my ferrets play with the mice that used to
sneak into our house - they couldn't have caught the mice if they wanted.

The ferret is so domesticated that it isn't even known for sure what the
wild stock used to be.  (Its known when the last wild cattle died in Poland
but not where the ferret even came from.)

If someone can get real proof that any of these are truly domestic ferrets
gone feral - fine.  If its someone who doesn't know the various wild
animals its different.  Prove it to me and I'll back down completely.

bill killian