From:
Jennifer Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 1995 03:29:11 GMT
Hello everyone and fuzzies too!

First of all I just want to say I'm terribly happy to have found this
newsletter.  Recently being introduced to the internet, I found the
Ferret Home Page two nights ago and learned more about my fuzzy friend
in 45 minutes than I have in the two years Basil has been with me!

My query concerns getting a friend for Basil.  When he was a little over a
year old I introduced him to an eight week old altered female.  He was
unrelentless in pursuing the baby, cornering her and "dominating" her by
holding and shaking her by the neck.  This really scared me and I
immediately separated them.  Basil wanted nothing else than to dominate
this baby.  The little one seemed so frightened and would grunt and scream
until I separated them.  Is this normal behaviour?  I attempted to
familiarize them with each other several times more that day to no avail.
Because I had such limited knowledge of these creatures I have not brought
Basil into contact with another ferret since.

Now I am considering getting another one.  I'm thinking of getting an older
one from a shelter hoping to have better luck.  Did I just give up too
early?  I read in the FAQ that someone tried for three months before his
old ferret accepted his new.  I really don't want to try that long.  I
should mention that Basil enjoys chasing my female cat.  He *loves* to
sniff her butt for some reason (she can't stand it!) Should I wait until
Basil is older?  (He is now just over 2 years).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Basil the "rat", Eno the cat, and Jen and Lee the playthings