From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 13:14:01 EDT
A couple of posts in the last issue mentioned the fact that ferrets
can't survive in the wild for very long.  My vet. however, knows of a
ferret living in the Laurentian Mountains.  It is definitely a domestic
ferret and has been out there for a couple of years.  Another friend of
mine who lives on   the Sault Ste. Marie Ojibwe Reserve in Ontario (near
Michegan's UP) says that domestic ferrets (yes, plural) broke into his
uncle's rabbit run and killed a couple of rabbits.  They are sure it was
domestic ferrets, because the ferret tried to chase them away from the
rabbits (fearless is their middle name, after all) so they got a good
look at it.  I consider both of these to be reliable sources.  Anyway,
the point is not to rain on anybody's parade, but to point out that
there are indeed ferrets who can survive in rather inhospitable climes
for extended periods of time.  Saying that they absolutely cannot is
not exactly true, and using a not exactly true statement in arguments
for legalizing ferrets can hurt the cause if anti-ferret forces know
about it.  Again, I'm not flaming anyone; I just think we need to be
careful that our facts are absolutely straight.
            Regina and Amelia, who hunted down a large fierce beetle
                               and was proud for three days following