From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:24:36 EST
Hello to all--
  I'm a new subscriber to this list, and six month old sable Amelia
and I are very glad to hear about other ferrets and ferret owners,
since we don't know any others around here (I think we're going to
have to get another kit this summer!).  I have a couple of questions--
one, could somebody please tell me about the Massachusetts bill?  I
live in Montreal, but my parents live in Mass, and I'd like to be
able to bring Amelia for visits (my parents have a greyhound, so it
should be interesting to say the least-- who will get tired first?)
Any information on the situation would be deeply appreciated.
   My second question is about digging.  SOme of you may have already
seen me post this on rec.pets, so I beg your forbearance with the
repetition.  Darling Amelia has a habit of attempting to dig hole in me
at night while I am sleeping.  She has food, water, etc., and she can
get out of the bed on her own, so she doesn't want any of those things.
I've tried flicking her nose, or holding her paws for a moment and
saying no, but since I don't do these things with much coordination
at three in the morning, it's taken as an attempt to play by Amelia.
Amelia has free run of the apartment, and when she does cuddle-sleep
with us, it's great, but the digging is painful.  Has anyone else had
a problem with this?  Will she stop or outgrow it?  She only started
doing this about a month ago, so maybe it's a phase?  She also doesn't
do it to my husband, so maybe it's a teenage girl-mother thing ;-)
   My sympathies to the people who posted on Monday with the little
nipper-- Amelia too bit longer and harder than the books led us to
believe she would, and still occasionally draws blood.  She is slowly
outgrowing this; Bitter Apple was effective.  Somebody whose name
escapes me at the moment responded to my rec.pets posting  with a
suggestion of using tobasco sauce to prevent hard finger nipping, but
wouldn't you know it, the little devil loves tobasco sauce, slurping
it off my fingers and chewing them to get the last grains of pepper
off.  That's a ferret for ya.  Anyway, any help on this digging thing
would be most welcome, and if there are any Montreal area ferret
people out there, I'd love to hear from you.
      Regina and Amelia ("digging problem?  What digging problem?")