From:
Marcy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 17:56:12 -0500
Hello everyone,

I have had so many people write and ask for an update that I thought I
would share Fitch's progress with all of you.  Since he came home, he has
improved by ferret leaps and bounds.  I think much of it has to do with
being home, spending the whole day sleeping in my lap in my office, and
seeing Abercrombie.

When I brought him home, Abercrombie was so excited to see him that he was
shaking (but being very careful not to hurt Fitch--I think he knew Fitch
wasn't feeling well).  That night was long and nearly sleepless, since I
woke up every hour to check on Fitch and make sure he was warm enough and
not dehydrated!!  In my office the next day, Fitch had a regular parade of
faculty and students wishing him well.  He seemed to get even better as the
day went on--eating a lot of chicken baby food and pureed ferret food and
getting lots of water and attention.

After we got home from the office, I was in the kitchen getting his
medicine together when I thought I heard Abercrombie pawing at the wire on
Fitch's carrying cage.  When I looked, it was actually a wide awake, happy
Fitch pawing to get out!!  So, I put a fluffy comforter on the floor (to
keep him from hurting himself if he fell) and took him out of the cage to
see what he would do.  When I put him down on the comforter, Fitch (who had
been in intensive care the day before, and near death on Saturday) began
*walking* around investigating everything he could get close to!!!  He was
unsteady, sometimes wobbling back and forth, but was able to orient himself
fairly well.  When he did fall he was  well cushioned from the floor, so I
didn't worry about him injuring himself further.

Fitch has since started trying to get into the litter box when he needs to
(I have to help him get over the side, and hold him steady).  He has been
eating well, and has been staying hydrated with a combination of oral and
subcutaneous fluids. Every time I look at him, I am so thankful that he has
beaten the odds and made it this far so quickly.  I have gotten messages
from people saying that having their ferret hit by a car is their worst
nightmare, but I am happy at least that I can give all of you good news.
Even now, he is sitting on my lap as I type, and is happily snoozing away
and getting even stronger.

Together again,

Marcy, Abercrombie and Fitch