From:
Kurt Schumacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:03:31 -0800
> Date:    Tue, 7 Mar 1995 23:32:13 -0800
> From:    Tamsin Liddle <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: any suggestions?
>
> Hi!
>
>         Our ferrets all drag/wipe their bums on the carprt/tiles around
> their litter boxes after they have used them. Do other ferrets do this?
> Or is it a learned behaviour - did Ruby teach it to the other two?
> Anyways my question is - any suggestions on stopping this or eliminating
> the dirty carpets/tiles?

Yep, this is standard ferret behavior. Someone (I forget who, sorry)
posted this riddle to FML a while ago:

        Q: What do you call two ferrets running away from the
           litter box?

        A: A drag race.

We've put an old towel on the floor under the litter box, and this
works pretty well as long as the fuzzies don't decide to drag the
towel out to play with. We've pretty much decided that we'll have to
recarpet the ferret room when we sell the house anyway, so we don't
worry about it very much.