From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 12:44:33 -0500
Lysanne,

I understand your concern about a ferret and a 6 year old, considering the
stories you' ve been told.  What surprises me about people is the fact that
they would not even think twice about a puppy or kitten latching onto their
nose or lips or ears or fingers.  They expect it as a normal part of
puppy/kitten behavior.  Well it is also a part of normal ferret kit behavior
too.

I've had puppies.  I've raised show cats.  One strong memory is wishing
they'd lose their needle sharp baby teeth so I wouldn't have so many puncture
wounds.  I've also raised four human type children and have probably been
bitten more by them then the 300 or so ferrets we've passes through our
shelter.

Have I been bitten by ferrets?  Sure have.  More than once.  But they are
animals and you can expect any animal to bite until they're taught that it is
not acceptable.  We teach them ususally with the scruff behind the neck and a
loud shout of "NO!" in their face.  Never set them down on the floor or in
the cage right afterward.  Hold them and love them and offer them a taste
again.  They are smart and learn very quickly.  For the occasional "tough"
case, there is always the Bitter Apple liberally applied to the area that
they like to bite (never on the ferret) and offer them a taste.   Wish my
children would learn as quickly.

Biggest problem I've seen with ferrets and children is that most children
under 8-9 lack the fine motor control that allows older children to control a
squeeze and keep it from becoming a bone crunching, suffocating hug.  Any
animal that feels threatened might respond by trying every thing, including
biting, to escape.  For that reason, except for very ususal circumstances, we
do not adopt to families with children under 8-9.  Then, the parents have to
bring the children over with them.  We watch how well they behave; do they
take instructions well from their parents; or are they screaming and yelling
and running around the house while their parents keep telling them to sit
down and be quiet.  We've sent more than a few home ferretless.

Another problem with young children having ferrets around, is that they are
very likely to have equally young playmates.  Remember that most Public
Health Officials have been "educating" doctors and pediatricians that ferrets
are "A High Risk For Rabies" and that any child bitten must undergo
anti-rabies treatment unless the ferret is killed, beheaded and the brain
tested for rabies.  You will not be able to convince the doctor of you
neighbor's child that there has never been a case of a ferret giving a human
rabies or that the ferret is the safest companion animal when you consider
rabies - they don't get outside and there is a highly effective rabies
vaccine for ferrets.  They will insist on killing your ferret.

Anyway back to your question.  Yes, expect the ferret to bite if you get a
kit.  An older one, if it were not trained, might also bite.  You can expect
a fearful ferret to bite.  A two pound animal is much less likely to do harm
than a 70 pund dog or 15 pound cat.  Normally, after a few days of training
 the kit or older ferret is very unlikely to bite.  In play, if you have
permitted it, it may gently grasp with it's mouth, much like a dog or cat
will play.  It may try to steal your socks with your feet in them, but it's
in play.

It's a tough decission.

Dick Bossart