From:
Gail Sampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 1995 09:47:53 -0400
    Chuck,
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am a new listserve "lurker" and
had to respond when I read your message. I too rescued an abused ferret;
well neglected would be more accurate. In Dec./92 I decided that I wanted
another pet (I had two cats) and decided to get a ferret. Someone at work
had a sister who had one and didn't want it anymore. It was supposed to
be her 9 year old son's responsiblity. Not! I went to see this ferret and
that was it - she was coming home with me! She was confined to her cage
all day. She had no food or water in the cage (the son forgot). He also
forgot or was too busy to let the ferret out more than one hour a day. These
people were the 2nd owners of the ferret. Listen to this - they had a wooden
cage for her, and in it was a coat that was supposed to be her bed. They
NEVER washed it and they had had her for about nine months!

    Well, I've had Ming since then. She is not overly active, her teeth
are not in very good shape, she is quite small (lack of nutrition), but
I love her and this is the last owner she will be with. In August I brought
her home a ferret companion, Mischief and was dismayed at the difference
between the two. (I don't know anyone else with ferrets, so I had no idea).
Mischief is into everything! She will go on her leash with me for 45 minutes
then come home and run around for another hour. Ming is lucky if she has
enough energy to last 10 minutes outside. At first I was very concerned.
Ming is not very old - probably 3 1/2. Anyway, I spoke with a vet (and yes,
she has also been to one) and he thought it may have been because of her
original owners (not physically very strong) and her personality - she is
definately not a typical ferret! When I see the difference between my ferrets,
sometimes I get very worried about how long Ming will live. I have had her for
two years however and all I can do is give her as good a life as I can. Her
and Mischief have the run of my apartment (they are NEVER locked up) although
I do have a gate keeping them out of my living room until I come home. Their
cage is clean, with a fleecy sweatshirt that I wash regularly. They always
have food and water. I give them LOTS of attention - I even go home and play
with them on my lunch hours. I really believe that some people should be put
away and treated the same way they treat their pets. I bet they'd change
their tune pretty quickly.

     I just wanted to say once agai that I really feel for you. They are such
loving, wonderful pets and a death that resulted from someone else's
insensitivity makes me angry. I know my Ming will never be a completely
typical, healthy ferret, but she now has a better life and she cuddles with
me and runs to me all the time, so I know she's got to be happier.

    Sorry for the length, but at least I finally wrote in and can now say
that I am not just a lurker!

Gail
Ming, Mischief, & the cats (Buster and Molly)