From:
paula ann edgar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:31:54 -0700
I have noticed both Kitka and Charlotte hiccupping a lot lately. At least
several times a day each for the last week or so. Has anyone else's
ferret had chronic hiccups? They seem so severe, their sides just jerk
and jerk. Could it be something else? Any ideas?

Char and Kitka will eat anything. I posted months ago about their love of
paper. This includes books, envelopes, kleenex, newspaper, etc. It has
bee difficult training ourselves to keep all of the above out of ferret
reach. All our book shelves are empty on the bottom, etc. Now we have
another similar problem: Char ate a hole in a sock last night. The hole
is relatively small, like a nickle in size, but the fabric is such that
even a very small hole expands quickly. I gave her nutrimalt and some
soybean oil to loosen her up a bit. She seems just fine. I am just at a
loss as to why these fuzz beans insist on eating inedible objects. I know
others use paper products for bedding, litter boxes, etc. I thinks this
is a form of ferret pica, like when humans eat dirt or laundry starch
because they lack some nutrient. The girls eat SD and get a cheerio or
two a day. Very little ferretone, a small amount of soybean oil when they
poop in the pan. Again, any ideas or similar experiences out there?

Thanks,
Paula & Matt
Kitka & Charlotte (The Chompers)