From:
James Makowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:42:55 -0500
I would have responded through e-mail, but I thought I'd mention this
here for others to read.  I received a myriad number of ways to
discipline ferrets.  Unfortunately, none seem to work too well with
Nibbles (my ferret).  Maybe she's just taken her name to heart.  :)
Anyway, here are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Nose Flicking (for biting.  Do when the ferret is biting, not afterward.
You can't train them that it is bad if you flick them after the fact.)
Squirt Gun (yes, just like a cat)
Solitary (confine the accused to a small carrier for a short period of
time.  Repeat whenever the action is repeated.  This works best when you
have more than one ferret.  Ever hate watching your friends play while
you were grounded?)
Scruffing (grabbing the ferret by the loose skin at the back of the neck.
 Do Not suspend your ferret in mid-air with this method.  Just grabbing
that area will (hopefully) give them the message.)
Scruffing, Dragging and Hissing (someone suggested this to me.  This is
what a jill would do to discipline her kits.  You scruff the rascal, drag
them around the ground while scruffing and hiss at them while you do
this.  I'm not sure how effective this is.)
Squealing (for biting.  When they bite too hard while playing, try to
imitate what a ferret would sound like when bitten too hard.  I've found
that a higher pitched "eek" type of sound works well.  But then, Nibbles
might just be startled at the sound and not know what it really means.)

That's all I remember right now.  If I think of more, I'll post them.
Other FML'rs, feel free to add your own to this discussion.

Jim Makowski
Nibbles "Don't you dare scruff me, I'll bite you.  *CHOMP*  Told you so!"