From:
Lindy John White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 1994 14:04:40 EDT
O___O   Howdy,
(' ')
 >o<    I want to introduce myself and my two "carpet shark" roommates.
  "     Gus is a silvermitt, 2 yrs. 9 mons.  Minnie, a chocolate, 4 months.

We're new to the list, since issue 933.  I've really enjoyed reading
the messages.  The FAQ is the best reference I've found so far.

Minnie is a foundling, left on my doorstep in a box.  Gus doesn't like her
at all.  On occasion, he seems to enjoy beating the tar out of her.
Otherwise, he just flattens on the floor and hisses whenever she comes too
close.  She's desperate to play, and never gives up trying to engage Gus.
Not much has changed since Minnie arrived a month ago.

Minnie would not use the litterbox.  She would use it if I was right there,
encouraging and rewarding, but otherwise no deal.  Gus would "tell on her"
when I got home from work, by running to where the mess was and standing
there until I noticed.  I got suspicious when she started going right
*next* to the litterbox, so I started spying on them.  Funny thing.
I caught Gus defending HIS litterbox with Minnie desperate to get in
and finally letting go when she just couldn't hold it any longer.
Diabolical.  So now there are two litterboxes, right next to each other.
Gus uses his, Minnie uses hers -- no more accidents.

I thought Gus might need a break, so I decided to take him to the park
and leave Minnie at home.  Kind of a guy's day out.  Gus is a regular
biker ferret.  He loves to ride.  All I have to do is grab my chaps.  He
runs and gets his collar and waits by the door.  Anyway, Gus had a great
time, more like his regular self -- racing around the park -- fluffy
tail -- chasing dogs -- barking his head off.  It was a great idea.

When we got home, I found Minnie curled up in a ball in the middle of the
floor, squealing and sniffling -- just like she was crying.  It took an
hour to calm her down.  She had never been alone before.  It was a
terrible idea.  You just can't win.

Do other ferrets hate mirrors, or just mine?

Lindy, Gus, Minnie . . . . Flagstaff, AZ . . . . [log in to unmask]