From:
Chris VonSeggern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 1994 20:45:18 -0700
> My husband and I are having a problem with Kitka, our three month old.
> She simply won't stop nipping no matter what we do and she is biting
> harder every day. We have tried so many things; from a firm "no!" and
> cage time to a light swat on the nose or the rear. ANY ideas would be
> really helpful, either sent thru the FML or to me at  [log in to unmask]
> Thank you, I am reaching my wits end. Soon I will be *completely* covered
> with teeth marks.

Sounds a lot like the trouble I had with Scooter--swatting him just made
him mad, and nothing else got his attention.  You may wish to try allowing
Kitka to bite your finger, then shoving it far enough into her mouth to
gag her while saying "No!" very sternly.  The trick is, she'll quickly
learn what you're doing, so you have to get the finger far enough into her
mouth so she can't clamp down harder.  This seemed to do the trick for
me--Scooter still nips, but not nearly as much or as hard.  I think the
connection between a human part in the mouth and bad things is much
stronger this way.

Chris