From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 1994 16:51:44 -0500
Some additional info on the Minneapolis rabies situation:  I went to
Animal Control today, and got some information.  Turns out that
ferrets are considered to be in the "wild by nature" (and thus
forbidden) category, and the guy I spoke to said it's because they
don't accept the effectiveness of rabies vaccines (he said that
some vet organizations do accept it, some don't).  He also said he
didn't know of any shedding studies for ferrets, so it looks like
info on European studies may help, plus the AMVA's recommendations.
*sigh*  Because it isn't officially spelled out as 'rabies vaccines
don't work on ferrets and that's why you can't have them here,'
this may be a bit tougher than I'd hoped.

I forgot to attribute the quote on Illinois & vaccinated ferrets
who bite; it's from a rabies handout from the Midwest Bird & Exotic
Animal Hospital in Westchester, IL.

Randall is so much more vocal than Rocko; he even lets out little
"squeak"-like sounds when he's having fun or looking for something.
I think this might be his version of "dook."  Rocko has been picking
up some sounds from Randall, but he's also started making an occasional
"hiss"-like sound.  It's not like a cat hiss at all, but very short
with an only slightly-opened mouth.  They get along fairly well most
of the time, though, so I just keep an eye on them (or at least an
ear out).

Quick vet question: Rocko's ears have a lot of dark wax buildup -
it seems to be heaviest in the canal, with orangeish wax over the
surface of the outer ear (pinna?).  Randall seems to be getting
some more buildup now, but he's not as bad.  If I clean Rocko's
ears with hydrogen peroxide, I can check a few days later, and
they'll be dirty again.  I'm taking them in next week to have
heartworm tests and have their ears checked out while I'm there,
but does anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks!
Denise, Rocko and Randall, and Grumpy (hamster)