From:
Yuki Busch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 1994 21:20:29 -0600
Another Great Escape :-)

When my husband and I moved into a new apartment we decided to keep our two
ferrets, Swamp and Nuke in the kitchen.  We bought a door-gate like the one
used for little children and put it in the doorway between the kitchen and
living- room.  It worked just fine until we adopted mischevious Mythril.
Being such an athlete she kept climbing the gate and escaping from the
kitchen.

Both of us tried tons of modifications to the gate trying to prevent her
escape but with less than two ounces of brains she defeated us at every
turn.  One day, when my husband came home he found that our living room
was covered with one single strand of toilet paper.  Apparently Mythril
escaped and started playing with the toilet paper in the bathroom.  When
her toenail became caught in the toilet paper she made a wondrous discovery!
"Hey, the more you pull, the more this white thing will follow you!"  So,
she pulled the toilet paper from the bathroom through box-tunnel around an
armchair, around the coffee table and then went back into the tunnel.

After this episode (and about 12 more modifications to the gate :-) we
were able to lock our gymnastic little girl in the kitchen.  We finally
had to attach a four foot tall cardboard box to the inside of the gate
so that she couldn't get a claw-hold and climb out (I wish my biceps were
that strong!).

Yuki Busch