From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 10:12:45 -0500
An anon poster asked how ferrets could survive anywhere but the polar
caps if they can't take temperatures higher than 80 F:

It's not that ferrets absolutely can't survive in hot weather, just that
you have to be a little extra careful with them.  During the heat wave
here in NY last summer (two weeks of mid-90s, no breeze, no a/c), our
ferrets were definitely lethargic.  We gave them an extra fan (out of
their reach, so they didn't get toes or noses caught), a wet towel to lie
on, and a plastic bottle of ice (which they licked the condensation from).
They weren't happy -- neither were we!  -- but they managed just fine.

Remember that domestic ferrets never lived in the wild: wondering how
they survived in Arizona simply doesn't apply.  However, BFFs and
other mustelids are mostly burrowing animals; I would assume that they
simply stay in the cool underground during summer days.

Cathy Mook asked:
> Rat is losing his hair (some, not huge clumps) all over his body,
> not just his tail. At first, I thought perhaps he was getting rid of
> his winter coat and getting ready for summer. But he is also a tad
> lethargic.

I would say this is probably just seasonal shedding.  It's the right
time of year for it, and adrenal-tumor hair loss tends to be in
specific areas.  Changing coats does cause some stress to the ferret,
which might be why Rat is a little lethargic; or he could just be
growing up a little.  If he gets worse or shows other signs, have him
looked over, but it doesn't sound like you have much to worry about
right now.  (Not that I'm an expert or anything...)

- Pam Greene         ==> Ferret Central has moved! <==
Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, and change your links to
       <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/central.html>