From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 1994 09:29:10 -0400
Note to Reisling's owner:
it's plenty hot and humid here, and Potpie's been pretty lethargic as
well. I dont think she minds the heat _too_ much, but she deals with it
by being a lot less active; she'll start skittering somewhere, flatten
out to cool off her belly on the floor, pick up and skitter a bit
more.... i figure she's gotta cool off somehow. She also rolls over a lot
more--skitters over to me, flops onto her back and looks at me sorta
sideways--undoubtedly an attempt to cool down a bit, but cute
nonetheless. :) As she hasn't been panting and she's always got water and
a direct breeze (ive got the fan directed towards her cage at all times)
im not too concerned, although i balk at putting a _pan_ of water in her
cage for her (she hates water anyway--will NOT stand to be put in the
shower or bathtub!) as she'd only make a nasty mess.

A happy aside note: Potpie's got a new cage. 4' high, 3'x2' wide and
long, with five different broad shelves and a linoleum bottom--we saw the
cage (it's a 'cat cage') at the pet store and thought it was PERFECT for
the little oft-locked-up girl. She loves the room, and for the amount of
space the cage provides, its collapsibility, and the ease of cleaning it,
the $180 i paid was a bargain (it's even on wheels :). It also provided a
stellar hiding place for the poor girl when we introduced her to  the
only other ferret she's ever met--a bumbling, huge Pepe le Peu of a sable
male who didnt even notice she was hiding under the cage until she bolted
for the bed. Yet another Funny Ferret Moment (tm), albeit a carefully
monitored one; Potpie's definitely an only child. Peoples she likes,
critters she dont.

And a proud brag: i'm house-sitting for a friend two or three days a
week, and i have a cage there for Potpie so i can keep her with me when i
move btw houses. After her introduction to the new place, after exploring
every last nook and cranny ('Ooooh! NEW CLOSETS! With SHOES in them!')
and all 5 rooms of the first floor, it seems she's faithfully using only
her litterbox to go to the bathroom in. :) :) At least, i _think_
so...the comprehensive check of the ferretdamage done to the house goes
on this week so i can futiley try to ferret-proof some of it. (note: the
gaps under the closet doors are all 1.5" high. No way in HELL can Potpie
be kept out or me successfully ferretproof it w/o permanently altering
the house.)

Potpie, 'im SURE beth wanted all the clumps of doghair cleaned out from
under the stove'
and
Melissa, 'stop it! get out of there! no! stop that! come HERE, you little
nit!'
(dont worry, she gets kissed incessantly on the nose far more than she
gets yelled at :)

[A caution: please don't include your signature when you send to anon!]