From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 19:40:05 -0400
Norman's biting is improving, or maybe my skin is getting thicker. I found the
suggestion not to let him get down (as a reward for biting) to be helpful;
also, I put my finger lightly on his nostril (so he has to breathe through his
mouth and therefore let go of my finger). I also let him know when I am going
to pick him up. He is really funny, though; he gets into things that neither
Cinderella nor Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy had thought of.

Re: cages. I don't keep either Norman or Cinderella in a cage unless I'm
traveling. They either have the run of the house (separately, as Cinderella
still doesn't like him) or a single room. I think the room idea is a good
compromise since the house absolutely has to be ferret-proofed for their own
safety (and your sanity). Also, Cinderella tries to get out the door so I am
always extremely careful about coming and going.

Here is my best ferret story:

Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy was my wonderful companion for more than six years. Though he
was quite old when he died, I like to remember some of the mischievous things
he did when he was young.

One Mother's Day a few years ago, a delivery man showed up on my doorstep
holding a beautiful flower arrangement. The flowers were for my next door
neighbor who wasn't home, and he wanted to know if I'd keep them until she
returned. I was very reluctant to do this?-not so much because this neighbor
has complained about my dog's barking?-but because I knew that a flower
arrangement wouldn't have much chance for survival in my house with several
cats, a dog, and a ferret. It was a very expensive looking arrangement, too?-
fancy vase, lots of flowers, and an exotic orchid right in the middle.

Much against my better judgment I accepted the flowers. I wasn't sure where to
put them, but I decided the safest place would be on the bathroom floor with
the door closed. A visiting friend wasn't quite so careful, however, and about
an hour later I was upset to find the bathroom door had been left open. I
didn't want to see what had happened, but it was even worse than I imagined.
The vase had been knocked over and there were flowers scattered everywhere. I
knew who the culprit was when I saw the florist's green styrofoam in a million
little pieces, because Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy loved to shred styrofoam.

Luckily I found another piece of styrofoam to put in the bottom of the vase and
rescued as many flowers as I could. With some trimming and a little creativity,
I came up with an interesting arrangement, although the orchid never did look
quite right. Fortunately, I finished it before my neighbor got home, and I
delivered the flowers as if nothing had happened. That was one of Mr. Fuzzy
Wuzzy's more exciting adventures, and I don't think my neighbor has complained
about my dog anymore.

--Cinderella & Norman's mom