Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 12:16:52 -0400
        Well, I was home playing with the animals yesterday morning, when
Shadow went to the bathroom and I saw that she had diarrhea.  I know it had
*just* started (i.e., that was the first elimination with it), and she seemed
otherwise fine, but I called the vet right away.  (It looked just like when
Shadow and Fezzik managed to tip over a glass of milk without our noticing....
only I *know* they hadn't gotten to any dairy products!).
        The vet suggested that I give her 1/4 to 1/3 cc Pepto-Bismol for a day
and see if it continues, or if it was just a one-time thing (and to make sure
she drank plenty of water).  By the time I got some (anyone have any idea how
hard it is to find a dropper of any sort measured off in *fractions* of a cc?)
her stools were already looking better (although still a bit frequent), so I
have no idea what it was (or is).   She's drinking plenty (although I admit
I've been sort of forcing water on her), and has started sleeping a bit more,
but she certainly still has her energy (at least enough to fight having to take
the stuff!).  If she has another loose stool, I'll be bringing her in, but
other than that, I'm playing the waiting game right now.
        Everything I've been reading suggests that all the vet could do,
anyway, is give fluids and antibiotics (to ward against secondary infections).
Is there something else I don't know of?   She hasn't been near any other
ferrets, but my fiance works in a pet store right now, and people bring theirs
in to have their nails trimmed, ears cleaned, etc.  He hasn't seen any sick
ones, but its possible he came in contact with a carrier and didn't realize it.
        Anyway, I'm hoping its nothing serious...

-Rochelle