From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 07:04:49 -0600
>>bit odd for keeping ferrets as house pets, as if I was keeping some
>>cougars or cobras as house pets.
>
>The same happens to me in some parts of Sweden. Is it the same in
>the UK that in some areas they are almost only used for hunting?

Indeed, it seems like in every area in the UK (and Ireland) they are
used only for hunting.  I was hoping that some UK (or Irish) FML'ers
might respond to my post so that I could get some native input on
this.  Perhaps they might use ferrets for Ferretlegging in the
Yorkshire area, but I would bet that even there the main human
contestants would be Ferreters.

Here in America it seems that most people accept the idea of ferrets
as pets (or at least believe that Ferret enthusiasts are pet keepers),
while in the UK, it seems it would be an almost nonexistent number who
would think of them that way, instead believing ferrets to be ratters
and rabbiters, and, as I said, rather vicious (which, as I said, I feel
is somewhat exaggerated).

Todd Cromwell
Dors (Ms. Pinch-Things-To-Find-Out-What-They-Are) and
Seldon (Mr. Amazingly-Hard-To-Get-To-Bite)