From:
Jan Lovell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 22:41:00 -0500
Sylvester died today.  Sylvester was one of our rescue ferrets.  He was
with me for only 10 months.  When he first arrived he had a "roommate" -
Amanda.  Mandy developed kidney disease, which was the cause of her death.

Shortly before Mandy died, her former owner contacted me (his parents had
placed Sylvester and Amanda with me for adoption), and inquired about
getting some more ferrets.  When I told him that I still had his ferrets,
he wasn't the least bit interested.  I told him there were no other ferrets
available at that time.

Sylvester adjusted well after Mandy's death, but after several months, he
developed symptoms of adrenal tumors.  He had surgery in September and
recovered nicely - he even grew back almost all of his hair!  Sylvester
and my ferret, China, became very good friends.  He even helped her
through the after effects of her own adrenal surgery - she was depressed,
and wouldn't eat without him near.

Sylvester got sick this past Sunday.  He spent the night in the emergency
clinic then the next day at my vet's office.  His temp. was 97 degrees, he
had horrible diarrhea, green urine, and couldn't walk.  There was a slight
improvement on Monday, but yesterday he didn't eat very well.  Today, he
had lost the life in his eyes.  An EKG indicated some very serious heart
problems.  My vet (also my employer), was advised to try a second EKC in
a half hour after and injection of Atropine to increase Sylvester's heart
rate.  The second EKG never happened - Sylvester "crashed" as Dr. C. and
the tech were preparing him for the EKG.  The autopsy showed an enlarged
heart - everything else looked normal.  Sylvester died today.

To All:
This is my tribute to Sylvester.  I ask All ferret owners to please seek
veterinary care at the FIRST sign of a problem.  I understand that medical
costs can be astronomical - but for the sake of your ferrets, PLEASE ask
a medical professional for his/her advise.  Even though I sought quick
medical treatment for Sylvester, he had a problem we were not aware of.

If your local emergency clinic doesn't treat ferrets, then ask your vet if
you can call him at home in the event of an emergency.  The point I'm trying
to make is:  Please don't ask for medical advise from non-professionals,
especially since it make days for you to get a response.  Call your vet
first - tell us after.

I hope this all makes sense - today has not been a good day.
Jan - GDFA