From:
Jim Lapeyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 08:01:37 -0400
        Alinda remarked that Oscar dislikes being handled.  We had a
similar problem with a couple of ferrets.  In each case, the solution was
a little different.  Rikki went through "fear-stages" where she loved to
play chase and hide and seek, but couldn't stand being touched.  Over
time, with a lot of "forced" gentle handling, she adjusted somewhat: even
now, a year later, she is not the most cuddly ferret, but she will allow
you to hold her.
        Derrida was a different case: we had to alternate between
holding him while administering treats and just holding him (so he would
not be held just for treats). As a kit he was just awful about being
touched, but he just kind of got over it.
        Hope Oscar works out: it might help if you socialize him with
other ferrets before he gets too much older.  It's hard to do once he gets
into an "only-child" state of mind.

Otter