From:
ethan cox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1993 11:19:18 -0500
[Please note that the correct address is "[log in to unmask]".
Handling stuff sent to the wrong place is a significant manual effort,
on both my part, and my domain forwarder.]

Howdy, Ferret Owners

        I'm not sure who it was who posted in the last week or so about
keeping their fuzzies out from under cabenets, but thank you!  You see,
Ceili has this overwhelming desire to go to bed under the counters in
the kitchen, by way of going over the kickboard, a very narrow space
indeed (but what's too narrow for a ferret?).  I have tried to stop this
by various means- discipline (was getting somewhere, but I can't be there
at 3:00 am), Duct Tape and cardboard (just made it more interesting for
her, and therefore harder to keep her from attempting), and finally-
bricks.  My roommate and I were discussing the problem (we had given up,
you see- the little beast had got her way.  again!), and I mentioned
that I had read about using bricks.  Then my roommate remembered that
for no reason at all, there were two bricks in the cupboard under
the sink when we moved in.  These two bricks have solved the problem
quite well, protecting that portion of the cardboard wall whose
structural integrity was no longer sound.  And the best part- the brick,
which she does still scratch at, helps keep her nails down to a nice
level- what a deal!
        Now, if I can teach her to bring my slippers *to* me instead
taking them *from* me to her little stash of fun toys!
        Also, regarding ferrets and flames- Ceili has an abiding
interest in candles as well- I've learned to keep them away from her,
since she won't keep away from them.  She lost a few whiskers examining
one once- I stopped her from doing anything too stupid, but she did not
seem to mind the loss of a whisker- she didn't swear or anything like
when she gets her shots.  Go figure!
        Finally, my condolences to you, Chris.  I don't know how better
to put it- the loss of a loved one, be it pet or not, is a very
unpleasant time.  Your memory is Mocha's immortality, though, so never
fear!

ethan cox