Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 1994 21:08:23 -0500
     I have always had problems with Weezul and his quest for
excitement, but he finally went too far. I work evenings so
Thursday around 2:30 am, after I got home from work, I went
down to the basement to play with the two "wild men",Teebone
and Weezul. Teebone was up but Weezul was no where in sight.
I assumed he was still slumbering until I heard a faint scratching
noise coming from the storage area. The storage area has been
blocked off by a four foot high piece of plywood. Weezul many
times before has broken my barrier and gained access to this
area, but I thought I had covered all possible entry ways.
Previously he has pushed boxes, dryer hoses, anything movable
and hopped up on the objects and climbed over the wall, but
not this time. There was no indication of "forced entry."
I searched the area outside the storage area and no Weezul was to
be found. My first thought was that he was inside the wall, but
I found no holes. There is no light in the wedge shaped storage
area, it runs under a stairwell, so I grabbed a flashlight
and began calling his name and searching. There is a two-foot
high pile of wood (unassembled antique wardrobe) in the far
corner of the area and I searched around this area. Again I
heard a faint scratch, but I could not see him. I had to
remove each large panel of wood one by one or I thought
I might crush him. Finally when I got down to about 6 inch
from the floor I saw him totally wedged between the wall and
wood. He had his head and body caught so firmly that he could
only move his legs and that was the faint noise I heard.
I had to slowly move the wood away from the wall or I would've
crushed him. I hugged and kissed him and cried at the same time
I was so happy. He was dehydrated and alittle wobbly and
starving but he is fine now. He could have been stuck there
at least 8 hrs! If he would not have been able to make any
noise I don't know if I would have found him. I still do not
know how he got over the board. He probably used Teebone to
stand on, ferrets are that intelligent! I never underestimate
what they are capable of. So if you think you have your
home ferret proofed, I have learned that when there is a will,
there is a way on the part of the ferret.
     Ferrets certainly keep a person on their toes. Teebone
has had two operations for a botched descenting job he had
before I purchased him. The second operation was the most
difficult because of the amount of scar tissue and the size
and location of the gland. The ducts had been destroyed
when they did the descenting, but the glands where still
entact which caused all of the problems. He is doing fine now.
     Fred is going in Monday to have a tumor removed which
is growing out of his ear. I hope the vet doesn't have to
sew the ear up completely after he removes the tumor.
The vet also said he has a orphan ferret that needs a home,
so I guess I might be adding another to my gang of six.
     Sorry if this is so lengthy but it sure is nice to
have a place to write, to people who can understand the trials
and tribulations of those who love ferrets.
     On the subject of thieves, it is my cat that sneaks into
the ferrets' area and steals their toys!
                                 Judy and the six ferret geniuses,
                                 Weezul,Teebone,Fred,Sable,Faucett,
                                 Boo and Teakey the cat who thinks
                                 he's smart and the two cockateils