From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 00:18:30 -0500
Hi, Melissa and Potpie here. I have a question I've forgotten to ask,
but looking at Potpie last night set off a vague worry bell in my
head.

At the start of the winter, Potpie put on a good deal of weight, as
I know ferrets are supposed to do. Sometime in December, I switched her
to Iam's adult food (having no idea I should be keeping her on kitten),
with the reasoning that fixed cats run the risk of getting lethargic
if kept on rich food like that, and ferret lifespans are about half those
of cats'. My logic: Potpie was two cat years old, and could probably
safely switch over. (She's back on kitten now, btw) Anyway, after
about a month she began slowly losing weight and getting very whippet-ish
around the hips--when her back is arched and she's resting, she's \
got somewhat visible hipbones. Last night I noticed she seems to have
gotten a bit more 'hippish.' My main question: does this follow the
normal weight loss pattern? I dont feel entirely comfortable with what
seems to me to be a creeping weight loss, especially since she was
only at 'winter weight' for a total of two or so months, if that.

So far, her stools are normal, her food and water intake are normal,
her level of play and friskiness are normal, her coat is normal.
It's been the standard eat/poop/play/sleep routine, but I'm slightly
edgy, as she's thinner than I think she should be. Any ideas?

Thanks,
M n' P