From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 07:01:55 -0500
To Rochelle about Fezzik:

        >I thought Fezzik might have had a partial blockage, since his stool
>seemed rather thin and he wasn't eating a whole lot...  but now his stool looks
>normal again.  He's been playing normally, and drinking all along (and I hear
>him crunching on some food right now).

        Sorry that it'll be Wednesday before you read this, but I didn't get
this until Monday, anyhow....
        I can think of few ferret owners who have never had a situation like
this.  With six ferrets at home, I go through this about once a month.  My
advice to you is this:  Ferrets occasionally have dietary "indiscretions" and
may get ahold of something that is not particularly tothe GI tract's liking.
They may get loose or discolored stools, and if no groceries are going in for a
day or so, their stools will lose volume and may become somewhat thin.  As long
as they are playing and acting okay, they can usually tolerate this for 48-72
hours.  If it goes on any longer than this, or their play/sleep cycles become
affected, then it's off to the vet for a check.  Most problems resolve within 72
hours on their own.  If it doesn't, then there may be a problem.  (However watch
for dark tarry stools - they are more than just discolored and indicated GI
bleding.  If you ever see these - go see your vet.  Likewise for profuse grren
diarrhea).
        A one- to- two week course of Laxatone is also a good idea following
changes in stools that you described,  Of there is some foreign matter in the
intestine, it will help it move along, and, at any rate, it won't hurt.

To Al in Georgia who wants to know what "first aid" can be given to ferrets with
heat problems -

        Al, the first thing that you want to do is PREVENT heat problems (easier
said than done, but an owner has to shoulder this responsibility prior to
getting a ferret in Georgia - my home state.
        Ferrets have very poor heat dissipation capabilities as compared to
other domestic species.  Ferrets can get heat prostration when temperatures are
in the eighties.  Ferrets in heat trouble will initially start panting, then go
limp, and eventually lose touch with their surroundings.  Body temperatures can
reach 108 degrees or more, literally cooking the internal organs and brain.  No
ferret lasts  long like that.
        The first thing you should do is get the animal out of the hot place and
try to start cooling it down.  A cool basin of water is the best bet.  Not cold,
because animals in heat troble have lost the ability to regulate their
temperature - the temp will drop rapidly PAST 102 and keep going on down, with
the animal helpless to stop it.  Any oral fluids that you can gert into the
ferret is good, but only if it is conscious.  Never force fluids into an
unconscious ferret.
        And get the animal to the vet FAST.  Let your vet to the balance of the
temperature adjustment.  It is a tricky situation, and even animals that can get
their temps back to normal may die within 48 hours of the massive shock that
they have undergone.
        Be cognizant of the hot weather - your ferret is, but it can't do
anything about it.  You can.

About death and burial/cremation/etc...

        I've seen a few messages on this subject recently, so I thought I'd put
my two cents in.  I grew up in a household of 14 cats and 4 dogs with many other
assorted species.  We were staunch believers in burial.  To this day, you can't
put a spade in my parents lawn without disturbing somebody.
        It was not until I met my wife Colleen, even though I was a pathologist
and saw dead animals on a daily basis, that I became comfortable with the fact
that a cadaver is only the vessel, not the essence of a beloved pet.  When our
ferrets died, I was surprised that she encouraged the autopsy and did not worry
about disposal of the remains.  But I think she's right.  MacGregor' and Mouse's
and the others' spirits were no longer there; all that remained was some organic
material that nature had already begun to dispose of.  We had said our goodbyes
as the light was fading; and we were satisfied that everything had been said
when the light went out.
        I have no problem with all of the alternative forms of saying farewell -
burial, cremation, pet cemetaries, etc.   To many they are a comfort.  But we
believe in treasuring them when they are alive, and their memories - not what
remains afterward.  The posts that I did on them yielded valuable information -
MacGregor's death was the first case that I have ever seen of a rare kidney
disease and one which I have not seen since.  Even in death, he continues to
contribute to my work...
        Choose whatever is right for you and your family and stick with it.  But
remember the most important time is what you spend with them when they are
alive.

To Ross with the deaf blue-eyed ferret -

        Ross, what you describe is a fairly common entity in other species,
especially blue-eyed white cats.  The link is that both cells in the iris and
cells in the ear contain a pigment known as melanin.  Melanin-containing cells
migrate from specific sites in the developing fetus.  In deaf blue-eyed cats,
and some dog species such as Dalmatians, occasional individuals have defective
migration of these cells.  Without them, the normally brown iris is blue, and
the ear cannot transmit audio messages, so the animals are partially or totally
deaf.  It appears to be uncommon in ferrets, but as we see more and more
color-diluted varieties, we will also see an incidence of this trait.  I hope
Beckett is not used for breeding - it is not a very desirable trait.

To Jan Lovell concerning protein in ferret food who still wants to  know we feed
ferrets higher levels of proteins than they get in mother's milk...

        I'm glad you clarified the question.  My answer - I'm not sure.  But we
still have to factor a few things into the equation - 1) how both are measured -
there is some variation in levels from lab to lab and depending on what type of
procedure you use, and 2)  remember, not all measurable protein, even in animal
feeds is utilized (or even utilizable.  Perhaps some of the protein in animal
foods passes right through --

        Boy, we could sure use a licensed animal nutritionist right about now...

Speaking of nutrition, to Clare concerning Buttercup -

        At 10 weeks, we know that Buttercup needs the extra protein in kitten
food.  While she may look okay, her body is really growing fast, and she can use
all of the protein she can handle...let her achieve her full potential.  Push
the kitten food; there'll be plenty of time for her to eat maintenance, but not
at this time.

To K. Campbell concerning Bianca -

        > I was petting Bianca the other night and she is very skinny and bony,
>(at least compared to my boys) and I noticed when rubbing her stomach
>that she has a noticeable internal organ.  I believe it is present in
>all my ferrets just much easier to feel in her.  It is just below the
>rib cage and seems to span almost the entire abdominal cavity from
>left to right.

        You are describing a common malady in ferrets - a markedly enlarged
spleen.  Splenomegaly is a common problem in ferrets, and we still don't know
what causes it.  Less than 10% of cases have to do with a tumor of some type.
wihle the other 90% simnply show congestion and an increased production of red-
and white-blood cells.  While this in itself does not hurt the animal - a very
large spleen is predisposed to trauma, and some animals just do not do well
lugging it around.  Imagine having a 40 lb spleen yourself....

        In animals with enlarged spleens that have become lethargic, most vets
take them out.  To date, I have heard of no ill effects from removing it.  The
spleen acts as a filter for the body, but do not seem to be major ill effects
from splenectomy.

        There are several groups across the US that are currently investigating
this problem.

Bruce Williams, DVM