From:
"Tim M. Keeter" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 21:32:58 -0500
Hi, it's us again!  I would like to thank all of you for the many warm welcomes
and plentiful advice we have already received.  However, I should've mentioned
a few things in my original letter (I was trying to be brief).

My wife and I have had Sam for over a year - we bought her spayed and very
young.  We did as much reading up on ferrets as our library would allow, so
we took our new responsibility seriously.

Much concern has been expressed over two main things in my letter: 1) the
recliner and 2) the classroom visits.

Just to clear some things up, the recliner may as well not even be a recliner.
We knew from the start the dangers of crushing a poor ferret in such devices,
and we quickly discovered that keeping her out of it would be impossible (the
little guys really have a lot of perserverence!).  So we just don't even sit in
the thing any more.  If we do, no reclining, and we have to know where else she
is - rules we adhere to strictly.  This isn't a problem since there are only
two of us in this small (but comfortable) apartment.

As far as the classroom visits, a lot of good advice to be wary and take heed
has been mailed in to us.  Thanks - it's easy to drop your guard on such things.
We do watch her very carefully (we have her on a leash) and the kids have to sit
still in a circle and be quiet.  Mainly she puts on a little show in the center
with her toys.  We aren't worried too much with the biting - she doesn't even
play-bite me when I play rough with her; just the typical mouth open/twisting
head thing.  In the classrooms, she's usually very reserved and more concerned
with sniffing the place out.  However, it never hurts to be cautious.

More than anything, I wanted to thank all of you for your great input so far,
as well as make sure I didn't give anyone the impression we were going about
this whole ferret thing haphazardly (sp?).

I do look forward to future communication.

Tim, Carmen, and Sam.