From:
"Tim M. Keeter" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 1994 22:43:24 -0500
Hello to all ferret enthusiasts!

This is my first time at submitting -- we've been on for about a month, now, and
love the FML.  Just an added "Thanks, Chris!"

My wife and I are first-time ferret owners - we have a 1 1/2 yr-old female that
we love very much.  Her name is Samantha (we call her 'Sam' for short).  We live
in married student housing at Purdue Univ.  I'm in grad school and Carmen (my
wife) is a senior.

We have finally collected up a few questions.  Any input from you experienced
fuzzy-owners would be much appreciated!

1)  Sam is an only child.  :)  We have a very tight budget, but does a ferret
companion constitute a happier duo?  My wife hates to see ferrets at the pet
store bite and fight, by the way.  Also, would introducing a new youngster to
a somewhat prissy (and potentially jealous) fuzzy cause problems for either?
One more --> male or female?  (no pups wanted here, so he'd have to be neutered)

2)  Concerning shelters, anyone know of any nearby Indiana shelters with
ferrets?  (or any nearby IN people trying to give a ferret away?)

3)  What's the difference between Linatone and Ferretone?  Our pet store just
has Linatone -- they say there's no difference.

4)  I would love to get Sam another squeeky toy, but I can't seem to find any
durable enough.  Any suggestions?

5)  A litter-box question?  I think Sam hates the sand in her little corner
pan (it makes her feet slide, causing her to do splits while pottying). :)
We use shavings in her cage (under the grating).  Also, she's sorta' off and on
about using the pan anyway.  Any material out there that works well?  What can
we do to keep her from squatting in various corners on the linoleum?

That's all for now.  A few general comments:

We love the stories best of all!

A neat toy idea --> phone cords.  We got tickled at her diving off the lazy boy
and slapping at the outstretched phone cord when we talk on the phone.  So I
bought her one of her own (I cut off the plastic ends, of course).  She
absolutely LOVES it!  I've been inspecting it on a regular basis for a month,
and it's shown no sign of wear.  It has also earned the honor of favorite toy,
cuz she keeps it under the recliner.  Catching her attention with it always
produces a "DookDookDookDook"-ing ferret (to borrow a catchy phrase from
Potpie's owner).

Some quick Sam-info:  Even our vet sez she's the friendliest one he's seen.
Being a Kindergarten/preschool/etc student teacher, my wife gets plenty of
requests from classrooms to bring Sam.  Sam loves the kids and will patiently
go around a circle of them and say hello to each.  In fact, she loves people
in general.  The video rental store across the street will sometimes give us a
free extra rental if we bring her with us!

Re:  Finding lost ferrets:  My wife has found great success with shaking Sam's
food bag.  Go figure.

Tim, Carmen, and Sam

~ Auburn Univ. 1991                     WAR EAGLE !                      ~