From:
Paula Lytle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 1994 20:47:17 -0500
Saturday was one of the most beautiful days here in Portland, OR that we
have seen in a while. My husband and I decided to make a daytrip to a park
about an hour or so south of here called Silver Falls (it's near Salem).
With us went the ferrets (of course) and a friend of mine who is new to
the college where I teach. She is originally from Turkey and had never met
ferrets until she met mine. We spent the day hiking around, and Pandora
and Persephone were having a grand time. We did a certain amount of the
"Yes, it's a ferret, no, it doesn't bite- eats cat food- three years old,
etc." My husband and I wear anoraks when we have them out with us and the
girls ride in the front pouches, kangaroo-style with their little heads
poking out. Sometimes they curl up in the backpack and sleep. Well, we
were on this one trail, and we see a couple in front of us focused on
something on the ground and it's a sable ferret. For a second I thought
Persephone had escaped, but she wears a harness when she's out. When we
stopped and brought her out to meet this one, the couple brings out
another one from a bag and it's a silver mitt who looks just like Pandora.
My Turkish friend flipped out-- she just couldn't believe her eyes. All
the ferrets had a nice sniff of each other- we chatted and then continued
on our hike.
Paula
P.S. The Oregon Ferret Association still has a large
number of rescues.  Thanks to all who helped out over Christmas with
supplies. It made a big difference. With so many new subscribers, I would
encourage people to consider adopting a rescue when they get their next
ferret.