From:
Alison Machum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1993 14:28:37 -0500
Otis is a large neutered silverback male.  I guess his age to be between
five and seven years.  He came to me as an adult foundling, so we
can't be sure.  I have had him for almost four years, and he is the
most handsome, charming, and relaxed ferret I've ever interacted
with.  He has the run of the house, although he has his own room
where he is enclosed from time to time at night when I have early
meetings and don't want my sleep disturbed by toe-nibbling. He
follows us around like a puppy, and sleeps on his back in the middle
of the hall like a big lazy dog. He has large feet and uncommonly
long toes, which he uses like human fingers in a comical way. Like
all ferrets, he is a joy to have around.

Last Friday, November 15th, I noticed for the first time a small
pink lump on his right hind foot. I check him over fairly carefully
every day in the process of playing and snuggling, so I believe it
had just become visible at that time. My vet, who is also my sister,
removed it on Tuesday.  This morning she called with the unwelcome
news that it was a mast cell tumour, and that because cancerous
cells were found to the perimeter of the biopsied tissue, she
would be removing more tissue tomorrow in an attempt to excise
the entire affected area.  This will be an awkward procedure because
there is not a lot of flesh on the toes, which makes cryosurgery an
impractical option, and makes it necessary to forego stitching and
leave the "hole" it will create open to heal.  Otis is pretty casual
about these things and hasn't been bothering the first biopsy area,
which Mary (sister/vet) used subcutaneous stitches to close, and looks
more like a bad scrape than a removed lump area, so with luck this will
work and we won't have to bandage it, which I think might drive him nuts.

This news is particularly tough for me because my first ferret Pooker,
a wonderful spayed sable female, developed the same condition during
her seventh year and had to be euthanized.  The cancer was widespread
by the time it was diagnosed, she had begun to lose weight rapidly,
and her fur became very thin.  She was itchy, but didn't seem to be in
pain, and maintained her playful nature to the end. Still, it was difficult,
as I know you all understand.

We are willing to do whatever needs to be done to save Otis, although
we don't want to put him through painful and unpleasant treatments if
a cure is not in the cards.

My question to the ferret owners and veterinary experts who read this
list:  is anyone aware of new or alternative treatments for mast cell
tumours in ferrets?  Any experiences any of you could share which might be
helpful? I have scanned through archived FMLs dating back several years
and haven't found anything pertinent.  Please respond as soon as you
can, and I thank you for any information you can offer. My vet would
be glad to contact by phone any vets who have treatment suggestions.

Ali Machum,
friend and roommate of Otis,
who is presently asleep in my
desk drawer.

--
Yours etc., Alison Machum.      Internet: [log in to unmask]
                                  BITNET: [log in to unmask]