From:
mike janke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 15:47:32 -0500
I wonder if anyone has run into anything like this (Dr. Williams?  Dr. Brown?)
and can offer their own experiences, suggestions?

A week ago I noticed that Max had a somewhat inflamed prepuce.  For those
that are not medically inclined (yours truly included) that's his peepee,
or the external portion anyway.  BTW, Max is 2 1/2 years old and neutered.

We took him in the next morning.  Our vet has quite a bit of experience with
ferrets since he handles all the Miami Ferret Club rescued ferrets, but
this wasn't something for which he had a a definite answer.

He thought he may have injured himself somehow, or had a slight infection.
He knocked Max out to examine his penis since he didn't take lightly to
having it exposed while awake.  All appeared fine there.  He got a urine
sample and checked for the presence of an infection and whatever else it
is they can check in urine and all was ok there.

Basically, nothing definite came of the examination.  He gave me some
Panolog cream to apply three times a day, but after a week, there
appears to be little improvement but it hasn't gotten worse either.

In all other respects, activity, eating, stool, etc.,  Max appears just fine.
It doesn't appear to bother him in the least.  He never licks it, and he
doesn't even notice it much when I apply the cream though I distract him
with a bit of nutrical first.  There's no discharge of any kind.

I'm wondering if I should take him back or am I being impatient?  Money is
no object when it comes to my babies, but I don't want to go overboard.

 mike