From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 01:01:28 -0400
Has an effective preventative for Paralysis Ticks (some of the Ixodes
species) there for ferrets, cats and dogs been found yet?

I know that Frontline did not work for it. In fact, decades ago a few
(mostly) youths who misrepresented their qualifications and their
alleged sources -- including making incorrect assumptions from nebulous
statements of mine taken out of context -- mistakenly claimed that
Frontline was said to cause paralysis in ferrets because they had not
read the full research study which instead said that Frontline did not
work against the paralysis tick species under study and therefore the
ferrets were infested with the known consequences of those tick bites
happening, including paralysis. I point out they were youths at the
time because they likely meant well but were running w scissors a bit
too young which is something we all do in one way or another and then
learn from the experience, just as all of us are stuck with learning
repeatedly through later decades (very poor pun intended because we
all do accidentally jab ourselves at times )

With this type of tick causing difficulties for ferrets and other
domestic animals there, but Frontline not stopping it, I periodically
ask if any progress has been made. To date I have not heard of any but
I sure hope for progress to be reported sometime since I have read of
thousands of animals needing vet care due to these ticks, and reading
that sort of note today is why I ask again.