From:
Aarrow-Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:28:40 -0400
As time comes to all ferrets they need their nails trimmed. Have done
this many times to many other ferts, have a great tool to do this with
that works great (the Ferret Store). Kodo used to grow some massive
nails fast. I would get him and sit down at the back table and have
him sit on his butt holding him with one hand and using my fingers
manipulating a foot to where I could get a shot at clipping one nail
after the other. He used to squirm and wanted 'out' bad but when I let
him know with my firm grip he was going no where I would relax a bit
and he did too to let me do the job. He seemed to like it after the
first 300,000 times I did it. Byteme would let me but would squirm
allot but she would corporate.

Now came the Jeep. He is a very active feisty little guy and I have put
clipping off to where I just had to do it. Over all it was not that bad
at all! He did squirm quite a bit but he let me trim every nail as much
as I needed. I did have to keep a good firm grip on him but the job got
done. This settled my bad feelings of having to do this with him.

Now I need to dig out the snow shovel to shovel all the cut nails out
of the back room. Fortunately there were no dooks this time. But when I
put him back into his cage he seemed to have forgiven me already. Was a
job I have been dreading to do for way too long but is done. Ahhhhh!

Jeep has been digging in his cage ripping the carpet all to shreds and
digging all the kibble out of his 'J' feeder making a huge mess. I
think his long claws were part of the issue. With those claws trimmed
he may not be so inclined to dig and ri p as he has. Will see how this
works. I think that was nature's way of trimming claws in the wild but
this is not a wild environment, at least not that way. Hopefully this
will cool his digging attempts down.

Gordon and Jeep

Aarrow-Ranch Aviation
J. Gordon Bengtson CEO
CI-ASMEL
***  Virginia is for Power Out Lovers. ***